Sunday, March 21, 2010

First Aid

We heard that the austerity plan has killed off ten thousand Greek businesses in two months. Taxi drivers and petrol station owners keep going on strike but George still figured that hiring a cab is better than renting our own car (gas prices tripled here recently). We lucked out and found a guy who would take us all the way from the Piraus ferry dock to the Pelopennese penninsula. The great thing is that the cabbie speaks English! It’s just four of us now. Hank went back to Athens to meet up with Andrea who is flying in tomorrow. I guess they will meet us at Elephseena on Monday?

Everyone took turns napping on the drive to Epidaurus. There was a Yanni concert playing on the taxi dvd. Mom, you would have loved it. We twisted and turned along the way, passing near the REAL PLACE where the Greeks defeated the Persians, right after the 300 suicide mission. The rocking motion of the cab (and probably the Yanni) kept putting me to sleep, then jerking me back and forth from weird dreams to the snaking landscape.

The fourth day of the Mysteries was was dedicated to the god Asklepios. He’s the one with the staff and serpents we see on health care logos. Apparently even ancient doctors were time-challenged. Arriving late for purification, he held up the whole Mysteries schedule.



When we finally got to Epidaurus, Krys and Julia woke up from their snooze complaining of itching and burning around their ankles and legs. Yesterday they were sitting under a pine tree on Aegina... George thinks it could have been those goofy greek caterpillars. Now Julia and Krys are off in search of topical cream. George and I are heading to the ancient Theatre while I charge my laptop.

oh yeah, sorry Mom... I left my cell charger at hotel in Athens, that’s why I havent called. :( I would call you on George's cell, but as you can see, he's always on it. Don't worry about me! :)

The acoustically correct amphitheater at Epidaurus...

No comments:

Post a Comment